Monday, August 08, 2005

The Death of Peter Jennings

Peter Jennings died on Sunday in New York. Although I frequently disagreed with Mr. Jennings and the way he injected his political views into his broadcasts, nevertheless I mourn his passing. He was one of the last of the breed of superanchors, who felt as though they were almost part of the family. Each night at 7 p.m. (in Detroit), Mr. Jennings entered our home and told us what was going on in the world. Day in, day out he was there.

As I mentioned, I (and my family) frequently disagreed with him, but we watched because, in those days (the earlier part of the 80s, primarily), people could still disagree about politics without being disagreeable (the Bork confirmation changed all of that, I am afraid).

Much as I am cheered by the ascendancy of the Fox News Channel, I still miss the days when we were not assaulted by 24 hour a day, 7 day a week news-blaring. Thus, I remember fondly the days when I relied on a newspaper (for those of you who are unfamiliar with that medium: in its classic form, a daily publication with detailed news reporting and a separate editorial page; now, a publication of editorial comments, posing as news, reflecting the primarily left-wing views of the "journalists") and the nightly newscast. Mr. Jennings was that newscast and I am , therefore, saddened by his passing.
Link
|