Thursday, February 10, 2005

Barney Frank -- Unexpected Hero?

The blogosphere is rife with Easongate stories and I am not going to weigh in here on Mr. Jordan's statements. I do, however, want to give a nod to someone with whom I have almost nothing in common: Barney Frank. Every account I have read of the proceedings at the World Economic Forum, including a highly credible account by Bret Stephens of the Wall Street Journal, contains a reference to Mr. Frank challenging Eason Jordan's statements by demanding to know if Jordan had any specifics to back up his claims. Now, the cynics amongst us might claim that Frank was merely hoping to unearth something that might be fatal to the Bush Administration, or at least Donald Rumsfeld's career as SecDef. I don't think so. There would have been ample opportunity, post-forum, for Frank or one of his staff to contact Mr. Jordan for a quiet interview on the subject. No, I think that Mr. Jordan's statements were simply so over the top, that even a dyed in the wool liberal, like Mr. Frank, had a tough time believing that American soldiers would deliberately target non-combatants in Iraq.

At least I hope that's what it was all about.
Link
|