Tuesday, January 18, 2005

ReutersWatch

I once started a blog entitled "Reuterswatch", the purpose of which was to detail some of the more outrageous left-wing tripe that that so-called news service put out on the wires. It got to the point where I had to admit that almost everything they put out was outrageous left-wing tripe, and so I gave up. Every once in awhile, however, Reuters outdoes itself, as it did today in its coverage of the Condoleeza Rice confirmation hearings. Contrast the following passage from a Reuters story filed at about 8 pm (EST):
"In a heated exchange in an otherwise generally cordial hearing, California Democrat Sen. Barbara Boxer (news, bio, voting record) accused Rice of making contradictory statements to argue the case for war and said the Bush administration shifted its justification because it had failed to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

"'I personally believe ... that your loyalty to the mission you were given, to sell this war, overwhelmed your respect for the truth,' Boxer told Rice, citing statements about how fast former dictator Saddam Hussein (news - web sites [Ed.:Wow! Saddam has his own websites. I wonder if they are hosted by Hosting Matters!]) might acquire a nuclear weapon.

"Rice responded: 'I have never, ever, lost respect for the truth in the service of anything.

"'I would hope that we can have this conversation ... without impugning my credibility or my integrity,' Rice told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, her voice appearing to quaver with emotion as she looked directly at Boxer." (Ed.: how does a voice appear to quaver? It either quavers or it doesn't!)
with the following account of the exchange, taken from Powerpundit:
"Senator we can have this discussion any way you want, but I really hope that you will not imply that I take the truth lightly."
Now, knowing Condi Rice: which version do YOU believe?

Yeah -- me, too.
|